May 262016

Jochen Bischoff: “Customers react to brands that address them in the right channel at the right time”

Jochen Bischorff during his talk at EADA's International Master in Marketing class.

Jochen Bischoff during his talk at EADA’s International Master in Marketing class.

EADA’s International Master in Marketing participants enjoyed a special class given by Jochen Bischoff, who is currently the Client Solutions manager at Facebook and also a Communication consultant specialized in digital channels. He undertook the same programme at EADA between 2007 and 2008. Bischorff talked to them about his role at Facebook, the opportunities of video platform for brands and advertisers and the next digital challenges. In the interview below, we ask him for all these questions as well as for his brilliant career after finishing the master at EADA.

What questions did make you EADA’s participants?
They asked me for my work on Facebook and my path from EADA to this point. The students were particularly interested in Facebook’s vision for the world, how we react to consumer behavior and to which degree we shape the world of communication between people and brands.

Could you explain me please what is your specific role at Facebook?
Facebook is a global leader which has been tremendously successful in the past years – that’s exciting, and being able to be a part of this system is something I’m grateful for and in no way take for granted. In my role I lead video as a capability and product across the Middle East, Africa, Turkey, and Israel; this entails both the client facing monetization as well as the driving understanding across all stakeholders in the comms planning and advertising value chain. I work with the world’s largest advertisers across verticals, agencies in both media and production, and internally with anyone from product teams, measurement & analytics teams, to sales units.

EADA's participants ask Jochen for They asked me for his work on Facebook and main digital communication challenges.

EADA’s participants asked Jochen for his work on Facebook and main digital communication challenges.

As a client solutions manager, what are the main demands that come from the customers? What them innovative solutions do you give them?
Clients will always want to buy media at highest ROI and deploy messages in innovative ways that builds competitive advantage. In my video role I play a key role in having clients understand not only the ‘now’, but the ‘what’s next’. For instance, I explain to the advertisers that video content is beneficial for the brands and for the consumer, who need to process the information very quickly. Apart from this, we analyse the ways to ensure that video content is seen by the right target.

I explain to the advertisers that video content is beneficial for the brands and for the consumer, who need to process the information very quickly

How do you explain the remarkable rise in the amount and frequency of video posts on Facebook?
The platform is becoming less-image focused and more video-focused by both content creators and advertisers, which means it has more potential and opportunity. We have to take into account that 80% of internet traffic will be generated through video content by 2019, which again draws the attention to the impact and consumption of video content.

And what about mobile opportunities?
Our world has gone mobile and brands that discover this just now are likely to find themselves in catch-up mode over the next years. Mobile should not be seen as an opportunity, rather as a ‘must’ – one large CPG’s CMO recently phrased out this strive for the company and its marketing department: “No Mobile, no meeting”.

What is happening and what is the future of brand communication and online communication?
Our world is changing, mainly due to the platforms, devices, and technology people have access to in their day-to-day lives. The dynamisms of technology shapes brand comms faster than ever before, and adapting to this world in the right way is what keeps marketers up at night. Communication and its media platforms have turned from a linear world into a multi-dimensional ever changing matrix, presenting huge challenges to businesses when choosing the right comms strategy.

The dynamisms of technology shapes brand comms faster than ever before, and adapting to this world in the right way is what keeps marketers up at night

According to Bischorff, companies that understand how to leverage big data, addressable media, and creative message distribution in a programmatic world will have an edge.

According to Bischoff, companies that understand how to leverage Big Data, addressable media, and creative message distribution in a programmatic world will have an edge.

In your opinion, how customers react nowadays to brands offers?
Similar to decades ago customers nowadays will react to brands that are relevant to them and address them in the right channel at the right time – only that today’s world is much more cluttered meaning breaking through is more difficult. Companies that understand how to leverage big data, addressable media, and creative message distribution in a programmatic world will have an edge. Maintaining this edge requires consistency in granular audience understanding, creative solutions in a mobile world, and staying on top of the latest innovation in media.

You are also a communication consultant specialized in digital channels. What are the main demands that companies make you?
The demand for digital consultancy is higher than ever before, yet considering the development of the digital ecosystem will only increase from here. Companies’ demands range from digital media planning and buying to cultural changes across global corporations. More companies look at e.g. Google, Netflix, and Uber trying to understand which components in their model could benefit their own.

Before Facebook, you stayed at Starcom, a well-known agency which works with more digital disruptor brands. How was this experience here?
I look at agency experience as invaluable to everyone who wants to understand the marketing and communication ecosystem quickly while being able to learn both the strategic and tactical side of planning and buying. Agency business is hard work and can mean long hours, yet the hands on approach required in an agency to move up the career ladder has benefitted me tremendously in my career growth.

The step before was at VENCA, where you did the Marketing plan for Spain’s largest distance seller (fashion and home products). Tell me about this experience and what you learned.
Working with VENCA was interesting in the sense that for the first time in my career I got to experience what ‘change’ means to companies – and how to drive change consistently without being too disruptive to the brand’s positioning.

Why did you decide to undertake the EADA’s International Master in Marketing in 2007? What were your prospects?
My aim was to get the best education and training in as short of a time span as possible while living in a vibrant city that attracts talent from across the globe. EADA over-delivered on all fronts! EADA equipped me with ambition, knowledge, leadership, and a network I benefit from until today.

EADA equipped me with ambition, knowledge, leadership, and a network I benefit from until today

To Jochen, driving business results is the most fascinating Marketing aspect.

What did you learn at EADA that you have applied in your daily work?
Navigating through complex team dynamics and environments while delivering on both short term goals and a long term vision – that’s what it is about in dynamic companies that want to succeed, and I feel EADA prepares its student for exactly that!

What is the Marketing’s most fascinating aspect to you?
Driving business results: marketing is just one discipline in a complex ecosystem, yet with the right strategy its impact is so clearly visible. Strategizing, executing, and analysing such activity is tremendously fascinating to me, especially in the moment I help brands grow.

You are also a professional basketball. What skills from sport have you applied to business field?
Basketball equipped me with the understanding that passion is key to everything, hard work beats talent, teamwork prevails, and that getting to goals is usually not a sprint but rather a marathon!

Last but not least. Have you met Zuckerberg in any moment?
Facebook is known for its open culture and non-hierarchical corporate climate. Zuck sets the example by living this culture. He steps in front of the company once a week for an open Q&A to all, which is the cadence I’ve had my encounters with him.

Deja un comentario